With so many options available, it can be a difficult choice: 1.6 gpf? 1.28 gpf? Dual-flush?
Currently, every toilet manufactured must use 1.6 gallons per flush (gpf) or less. Many companies have come out with toilets that use only 1.28 gpf. 1.28 gpf toilets that complete the EPA’s third party certification process for performance and efficiency receive the WaterSense label. Not all 1.28 gpf toilets are created equal, so make sure you research a model before you purchase it. Consumer Reports is a good place to start.
Every toilet manufacturer has their own systems. The below explanations are specific for Toto‘s systems, and explain how each system works and the benefits of each.
Double Cyclone Flushing System
Like a cyclone in nature, the Double Cyclone flushing system harnesses the power of water and gravity to create a more powerful 1.28 GPF that maximizes cleaning action. Double Cyclone features:
- Two nozzles (instead of rim holes) use water more efficiently for a better rim and bowl wash and result in less trapped dirt and bacteria and less cleaning.
- The dual-nozzle water propulsion system allows more water to be directed to the siphon for a more powerful flush.
E-Max Flushing System
Unlike pressure assist toilets, which can be noisy and are made with more complicated moving parts, E-Max is a simple and quiet solution for effectively flushing 1.28 gallons. Utilizing the same proven engineering as our legendary 1.6 GPF G-Max flushing system, the 1.28 GPF E-Max reinforces TOTO’s performance reputation while offering an additional water savings of 20%. E-Max features:
- Wide 3″ flush valve provides a quick, consistent and powerful flush.
- Large 2-1/8″ trapway is glazed to optimize waste passage.
- Pilot-operated fill valve ensures quiet operation and a clean shutoff at any water pressure.
- Extra-large siphon jet works in conjunction with the large glazed trapway; the siphon jet pulls away waste with incredible force.
Dual-Max Flushing System
The TOTO Dual-Max flushing system is the leading choice for dual flush performance and conservation because it doesn’t sacrifice performance for conservation like many other dual-flush solutions in the market. Our goal was to optimize water conservation and set a high bar in flushing performance. Dual-Max features:
- An integrated control that allows you to select the appropriate amount of water usage from 0.9 GPF to 1.6 GPF.
- TOTO Aquia® toilets with Dual-Max flushing feature a clean, skirted bowl design, offering an unmatched convergence of style and efficiency.
G-Max Flushing System
G-Max’s extra-wide 3” flush valve and wide 2-1/8″ glazed trapway offer increased flow, drawing water into the bowl more quickly, and then away more forcefully . And with G-Max’s powerful siphon jet, the system makes sure what goes down stays down. G-Max is the industry benchmark for flushing performance with features like:
- A larger 2-1/8” glazed trapway offers increased flow, drawing water into the bowl more quickly and then away more forcefully to prevent clogging.
- A huge 3” flush valve creates a quicker, quieter, more forceful flush.
- An extra large siphon jet generates unmatched power for one-flush superiority to make sure what goes down stays down.
Still have questions about your new toilet and which flushing system? Visit your local kitchen & bath showroom to talk to an expert, see in-person how certain systems flush and look at the display models.